You can witness DJ Polished Solid’s passion for Record Collecting, Wrecka Stows & Prince by viewing this IGNITE talk from EYEO 2016 in Minneapolis, MN.
ABOUT DJ POLISHED SOLID
At a very early age, DJ Polished Solid’s uncles exposed her to a wide range of music. On any given day, they would play anything from edgar winter to yes to parliament / funkadelic to slave to lynyrd skynyrd. Today this is known as “genre hopping.”
Since 2005, DJ Polished Solid has been genre-hopping on her an online radio show, No Turn Unstoned. Since 2016, DJ Polished Solid has put No Turn Unstoned on the backburner to concentrate on her love of organizing music symposia and producing podcasts. However, she continues to post mixes for No Turn Unstoned on special occasions.
She has curated the following symposia since 2017:
- Upcoming in 2022, Prince symposia, 3-day, hybrid #TripleThreat40 for 40 years of Princeâ€™s 1999, The Timeâ€™s What Time Is It?, and Vanity 6â€™s debut, and 1-day, virtual #SexyMF30 for 30 years of Princeâ€™s Symbol album
- Upcoming in August 2021, Welcome 2 America Virtual Celebration (#W2AVC)
- March 2021, Prince #1plus1plus1is3 Virtual Symposium for 40 yrs of Controversy, 30 yrs of Diamonds & Pearls, and 20 yrs of The Rainbow Children, https://1plus1plus1is3.polishedsolid.com!
- October 2020, a virtual Sign Oâ€™ The Times (SOTT) Super Deluxe Celebration (#SOTTSDC)
- June 2020, Prince #DM40GB30 Virtual Symposium, https://dm40gb30.polishedsolid.com, on Hopin.
- March 2019, Batdance Symposium (#Batdance30ATL), http://batdance.polishedsolid.com/video, at Spelman College in Atlanta, GA.
- June 2018, EYE NO: Prince Lovesexy Symposium (#Lovesexy30BK), http://lovesexy.polishedsolid.com/video at NYU Tandon School of Engineering in Brooklyn, NY.
- May 2018, Betty Davis They Say I’m Different Symposium (#BettyDavisBK), http://betty.polishedsolid.com also at NYU Tandon.
- June 2017, co-produced Peach + Black: Prince Sign â€˜Oâ€™ The Times panel & screening (#SOTT30BK), https://vimeo.com/348899017, also at NYU Tandon.
She produces, engineers, and co-hosts, the Prince & Prince-related podcasts for Grown Folks Musicâ€™s Inside The Album. She also produces, engineers, and co-hosts podcasts for Grown Folks Musicâ€™s Behind The Film and Behind The Book podcasts.
To contact DJ Polished Solid directly, email deangela (at) gmail.com or direct message or follow polishedsolid on Twitter.
ABOUT GROWN FOLKS MUSIC’S PRINCE & PRINCE-RELATED PODCASTS
On the podcasts, Prince, the musician, actor, and composer is discussed, as well as all of his side projects as a producer. Prince as entrepreneur, philanthropist, innovator, and cultural icon is also discussed. DJ Polished Solid only produces, engineers, and co-hosts the Prince & Prince-related podcasts for Grown Folks Music. She does not participate in the other Inside The Album podcasts at Grown Folks Music.
You can find the podcasts on:
- iTunes – https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/gfm-podcast-network/id1085920009
- Google Podcasts
- Stitcher – https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/gfm-podcast-network/inside-the-album
- Soundcloud – https://soundcloud.com/grownfolksmusic, and
- Spotify – https://open.spotify.com/show/7asEtB3fQcpH8A0CVfK88m
ABOUT NO TURN UNSTONED
Based around a specific theme for every mix since 2005, the format of no turn unstoned is just darn good music of ANY genre sequenced eclectically. The usual suspects are electronica, hip-hop, house, rock, soul, dubstep, drum â€˜n bass, jazz, reggae, blues, pop, and a little bit of country now and then. (no opera, though:)
You can find current no turn unstoned archives here:
She used to broadcast on the following sites, but they have shut down for various reasons:
- RIP, Play.fm!
- RIP, Percussion Lab!
- RIP, Samurai.fm!
- RIP, MixCrate!
- RIP, radiozerogravity.net!